Just dun wanna.

“You should get married”. Says my mom right after Happy Birthday. As if it’s inevitable.

I laugh.

She gives me that motherly stare that harbors disappointment of such extreme propensity that I almost tremble.

"Are you serious?" I ask.

And so begins the long speech about a parent’s hopes and dreams. About how they want happiness to re-emerge in our lives.

I laugh.

She shakes her head and walks out the door.

End of discussion.

Its scary. The thought of condemning myself and some hapless girl to a life of lovelessness. And I don’t want to hear any crap about how love may develop after a marriage. What develops is a mutual need, a mutual dependence. Like when you train your dog to get your slippers. You would be barefoot if he up and left. But marriage is more then acquiring a well trained pet. It’s something more sanctimonious, something a lot more important than a big ass function at which you invite the entire city and play loud music and pretend to be happy. It goes on beyond the jota chupai and the lado khilai and all the stupid customs that we so religiously observe at our weddings. It means surrendering yourself to one person for the rest of your lives. I don’t much fancy the idea of divorce, when I commit myself so utterly to a cause I would like to see it work out. I would like for my wife to be happy. To feel loved, cherished. Not like the distorted shadow of someone else before her which will linger in my thoughts not entirely because I’m unable to forget and let go, but because I really just don’t love her.

I know all the crap about marriages not having to do with love and the clichés about never marrying the person you love and about it doesn’t matter who you’re married to as long as you can lie about your extra marital excursions.

That’s all crap. Marriage is sanctimonious, at least it should be. And if you can’t let it be that because you don’t feel that devoted to this person just because you scribbled a signature across a bottom line on a piece of stamp paper then don’t fucking do it. Don’t get married, play the field, rack up pre-martial sex demerits instead of extra-marital ones.

I don’t like the people who go off and hook up with rich nubile young lasses who may or may not have been in love before. I don’t like them not because they’re getting married just because its the logical thing to do is like a betrayal of the love they claim to have almost died for but because the betrayal is to the future, not to the past. Maybe they can be honest and committed and stick to the ones they end up with. But highly unlikely of that happening. Besides I’m not willing to take that chance. I’ve never really been sold on marriage in the first place. Now the thought of being married without being in love with the person I’m married to is just disgusting. Why should she? I mean why the hell should she end up with someone who is already pretty much given most of what he had to give to someone else when she in all probability deserves to be loved the way I can’t love anyone again. It’s unfair to both of us. Just plain senseless submission to society and whimsy of parents who still find their children’s marriage the be all end of all of their own existence.

So sorry, mommy. Sorry ye who could have been my wife (mom has a long list of probable bahus). Ain’t gonna happen. I know my turning 26 scares my mother, She would’ve thought I’d have given her a couple of grand kids to spoil by now but hey, I tried, didn’t work out. Big deal. Not about to try it out just for the heck of it and be tied down by the loyalty I myself want to attach to my marriage when the person I’m with deserves loyalty that love should manifest, not just a sense of propriety. It’s just all very ugly to me. Extremely ugly. I’m better off all by myself. You can’t beat the independence. A wife is gonna nag. Eventually she will nag… nagging from a beloved is much easier to bear than from a compromise.

Yes I’m making silly excuses but when I focus on the ‘logical’ benefits of getting married its hard to justify choosing against it just by saying I dun wanna.

But the very basic condition of it all is that I just dun wanna. Not like this, not someone my mom chooses, not thru the disgusting bardakhawa custom. Hell even that is an exaggeration the thought of an arranged marriage is frightening; the thought of a love marriage now is amusing. That doesn’t leave much room for a parent’s wish to come true.

Shucks.

Sorry.

Comments

just muttering said…
i hate the fact that there is this preallocated timeline that everyone and their uncles should/must/abosolutly-have-to follow...and then there is life..which nicely says..well fuck that! (you know an uncle once told me that very soon i will not be of a "marketable age" those very words. i almost fell off the table..and fyi im only 22)
but yea the sad part is that more often than not..regardless of where their life is taking them...people eventually givein to the oh-so-santimonious schedule of the timeline and let go of everything else they could have been....
hopfully ur life will itself back on track Inshallah before other pressures force themselves on you ... :P
"just dun wanna" for now is reason enough :)
naked feet said…
grandkids from a 26 year old!!

good grief

hang in there buddy.. don't crumble to social pressure!! i'm in the midst of my quarter century crisis and battling on the same grounds :)

and happy birthday!!!
BaptizedLucifer said…
lol. ur stuck up :P just admit it.

more on msn:P
discopapaya said…
aight ... seeing that im 17

i cant really say that i relate

well.. coz i dont

BUT there are girls in my school my age who are married.. which is just odd but whatever.

anyway, hang in there, eat cake, adopt gandhis policy of non cooperation, grow old with some cats and live a very happy life.

as long as you continue to write you can do whatever the hell u want :P
balihai said…
26!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and you said the 'm' word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
happy bird-day, sajjad.

dekho bachey chahiye jo bees saal ke hongey jab tum pachas ke toh kull hi shaadi kar lo.
nahee toh...party on.

;-D
Ozair said…
happy belated bday dude!! :D acha now take your time yaar with the marriage thing!! gives me the shivers it does!!!!! brrrrr!! :|
Affan said…
Wow.. nicely written... i dunno but i find it pretty funny :P
imagine being a woman in the same situation with the overwhelming evidence concerning biological clocks to add to her parents arsenel when they bear down upon her..:S
Rude Awakenings said…
Sigh. Such apathy towards marriage. What has come of this world. And when did arranged marriage earn SUCH a bad name. Hey there are too sides to every coin. Yes many times the emotion that develops between 2 ppl brought together for marriage is dependence and attachment, but many a arrange marriages flow with the string of love. Don't take both love and arrange marrages to either extreme.
But the your personal choice is of course yours' at the end of the day. I do completely agree that marrying just for the sake of marrying isn't fair to anyone, not the wife, you or your children if their are any involved eventually. Cause marriage is very difficult, u need something strong holding it, and compromise doesn't work in this day and age.

I concur with blideside though, abt the biological cock ticking for women. Sigh. Pressure, life, wants, ARGH.
Hopefully life will be kind enough to work things out at the appropriate time.

Till then enjoy the single life, though it isnt as glamourous as its made to be, especially after 25!!

I enjoyed this post, as you had predicted.

Sonia
Rude Awakenings said…
P.S I meant biological "Clock", OOPS!!!
Anonymous said…
thats just plain arrogance and individualism talking, dont you think? im going through something similar and whenever i think "no" i realize that's me being selfish.

my reason for getting married is to go through the whole circle of life. nothing really bad has happened to me ever, and my philosophy about life has to do with feeling pain. so i gather, that id never be able to learn anything if i just go about having other people take care of me and never having to take responsibility for others.
so next time you may want to think about giving instead of getting.
Majaz said…
lol...

A vibrant mix of crap and hilarity.
Majaz said…
And for the sake of a PS:

http://theblackmirror.blogspot.com/2005/07/does-marriage-matter_112128964652339874.html

Popular Posts