i can't see the light at the end of this tunnel...

Babaji, if you were still around, I’d have not spoken to you for days for dying on me.

I seek comfort in the strangest places. In scripture and in logic, I look for reassurance in the words of the wise, but fail. Because the comfort I need can only be found in that all curing hug of yours… kindly indicate some how, what the heck am I supposed to do now?

I’m glad you got to go the way you always said you wanted to, with your boot straps on, without being a liability on anyone. And I’m relieved that the combined force of your 5 children was thankfully plenty to get you back home and into the spot where you wanted to be buried, between your parents. But seriously, what the heck am I supposed to do now?

I need to see that proud smile of yours to reassure me. I need that all curing hug again so that I know I held my self up like the man you would have wanted me to be. I grew up decades in a second, Dad, but what the hell is it worth when I can’t even know if it made you proud. I need your help with issues at work, I need to talk to you about wanting to get married again. I want to ask you whether I should lease a new car now that my salary can help us afford it. I need you to explain that song to me, I need you to recite that one sher… I need to come back from work to beat you at scrabble and watch you act all sore when you’re actually so proud at the two seven letter words I made. No, honestly, tell me… what the heck am I supposed to do now?

I know all the stuff that religion preaches. And I know all the mature things to say and believe. But none of that helps because I can’t hear you holler for me to hand you the Tv remote from the table 2 feet away from you. I can’t see you laughing like a school girl at the pushto joke no one else got. I can’t act all irritated by your nasty pronunciation of mukhadi at Sunday brunch. I can’t tell you how to deal with the HR problem at your factory. I can’t talk to you about the latest book you’ve read and I can’t ask you how to word that god damned application for the letter of succession. I have to have you filed as deceased babaji, what the hell am I supposed to do it now?

I won’t ever be able to say asaamaikumbabjee like I’m three years old again. I won’t ever be able to see you cringe at it. What the hell am I supposed to do now?

What exactly is the MO for existing devoid of you? What’s the strategy for this whole debacle? Who do I ask dad, what do I do? I can pretend to be strong all I want but when I’m alone in the shower and N’s not answering the phone and I have nothing to do but miss you and I can’t even do justice to how I feel no matter how many times I try to put it all down in words, and there is no one with tears in her eyes to wipe, or anyone who needs comforting… ramzan has come… eid will follow soon… you won’t be there in the drawing room yelling for us to come get our eidi… what exactly am I supposed to do now?

I can't see the light at the end of this tunnel.. because you're not there holding the torch anymore. What the fuck am i supposed to do now?

Comments

Anonymous said…
just keep on swimming...there's nothing to be done, nothing that can be done...just try to get through this day by day and one of them you'll wake up and some of the ache will have dulled...good luck. i will pray for you and your family.
He gave you the torch to hold. And you ARE making him proud, everyday. He assured you that by coming in your dream.
You have to stop thinking of him to miss him..but you can't as he's there with you, always looking over you and its him who made you stronger than you ever thought you were..and I'm sure he's the proudest of all the dads up there.
If God put you to it, he'll put you through it. Promise!
*bear hugs*
Jaded said…
I read once somewhere that to get past a loss, you pretend to live and get through as each day comes... Someday you will realize that life has moved on and you have adjusted to that empty place inside you... And you will too because your baba ji made sure that his son knows how to dust himself off and continue walking..

Your loss and pain is real and will always continue to be there, a part of you but so will the love and pride your baba ji has always had in you through your failures and your truimphs. Take strength from the fact that you can still feel and see your baba as he was in your memory; it is one place he will never leave you.. besides I'd rather believe that parents never leave you behind but rather just move to a more supporting role in the background rather than being in front of you!

Wow, long comment there but I hope that the Almighty brings you strength and faith this Ramadan! Bless you!
junoesque said…
close huggzzzz

god bless you, dear one...
Samar Owais said…
You made him proud everytime you looked at him, smiled at him, talked to him, hugged him.

You make him proud just by being who you are. His love and wisdom will always be with you.
meshwork said…
I really don't know what to say ..just that .... make bahut sari dua ..for yourself and for your babaji.....
take care loads...:)
mehwish...
Anonymous said…
start
eating
papaya. Slowly.

He left you batteries. Remember where you keep 'em.

[cant say a damn word, can I. Wont, not more than this.]
M said…
Inna Lillaha Wainna Ileihi Ra'jioon

*Ruffles his hair*

Jus found out..

Jus remember with each tear of urs that Your Babaji Is Already Proud of You and will Contine to Do So..

That'll give u sumthin to smile thru those watery eyes..

Wht matter is.. You ARE still HIS SON.. so wot if he's not around? keep proving urself to him whneva u start gettin those pangs... woh yahan nahin hain toh kya hua?

Long Distance relationships mein toh, i think aap, aur hum jaise kuch log toh mahir hain.... hai na? ;)

Bohat sare hugs.Usse bhi zeyada Dua'ein. for ur family. n tumhare liye...

YOur efforts, ur courage and bravery(by God's grace) to still keep ur head up n pull thru this wont go unnoticed by Allah jii & ur Babajii..

Allah jii unhein Jannat mein ala makaam ata karein.. (Ameen)
expressome said…
i have nothing to say but im crying your tears.
take care of you.
A big, warm hug for you,Sajjad.Stay well.
Anonymous said…
i dont know if u'll believe this, but i strongly believe your dad is still watching you and still protecting you. i have always felt that about my own parent and I think its true.

Popular Posts