R-E-S-P-E-C-T, Yo!

It wasn't that i was caught unawares. Anything worth having is almost always a contraband in Pakistan and so i had already deduced that Salman Rushdie must not only have said something offensive but must also have said it well enough to warrant the chagrin of the entire Muslim Ummah, prompting the ban on his words, his thoughts, even his name in this Islamic Banana Republic of Pakistan. And even though I was pleasantly vindicated for my blind faith in his skill as a writer upon finally getting my hands on the much accliamed, Booker winning Midnight's Children, I longed to have my socks knocked off with something of so much beauty that it would justify the awe this wholly unremarkable and somehwhat evil looking man had commanded from me. And then i came across teh following, and stopped reading to make this post because something rendered with such staggering skill must not be allowed to go unheralded.

"Family history, of course, has its proper dietary laws. One is supposed to swallow and digest only the permitted parts of it, the halal portions of the past, drained of their redness, their blood. Unfortunately, this makes the stories less juicy; so i am about to become the first and only member of my family to flout the laws of halal. Letting no blood escape from the body of the tale, I arrive at the unspeakable part; and, undaunted, press on."


Hats off, dude.

Excerpt from Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie.

Comments

Barooq said…
The beauty is Rushdie's prose is unbelievable.
I couldn't go through satanic verses, but still for years now, the first line resounds in my head.

The description of Salim's prayer in Midnight's children almost made me cry... Tell me when you reach that part
Phitaymaun said…
Prett much everything i read inspires me but no book has ever made me cry. Some have frightened me, some have managed to make me laugh, some exceptionally well written parts of mediocre books have even made my throat go dry with sorrow but not one has managed to draw tears from my eyes. I long for that to change.
Anonymous said…
I was left untouched.

Maybe i'm just harder to please.
Phitaymaun said…
umm, it wasn't supposed to 'touch' you. It was simply supposed to indicate the exceptional mastery the author possess over the language.
Majaz said…
He's a magician with words indeed. He hates all things Muslim and Islamic but he's a magician with words, no doubt about that in the world.
A.M said…
Midnight's children was amazing... I am however, slightly more partial to 'Haroon and the Sea of Stories'... you must read that if you havent already... his mastery of creating vivid imagery through prose is at its best there....
What A.M said-- Haroun is a beautiful book, excellently written, and what a perfect present for his son.
Glad you finally got to read it. He kinda lost it with the Moor's last Sigh and ever since then its been... meh.
I don't mind though. Who said greatness is ever a constant?

Popular Posts