ab tak tees

Being 30 is its own punishment. You start getting that uncle vibe from your self even if you don't look or feel uncly. You look at women in a funny way, constantly wondering whether the particular hottie you are checking out is old enough to be checked out by you and she usually is not because the ones who are within your age range are now Milfs.
Funny thing about Milfs, there seems to have been a mushroom growth of them. It certainly helps to satiate the ogler inside but Milfs don't have much to offer to anyone except their husbands and lovers.
Also peculiar to being 30 is the feeling of having wasted away your life. Perhaps it only afflicts those of us who actually have wasted away their lives but it certainly did not occur even to us life wasters before the digits ticked over. However, and this is just sweet, this rather unsavory epiphany is not accompanied by depression. No, there's this wierd calmness instead. Its like, Ah well, what's done is done, lets waste away the rest of it too. I suppose in 30 years one manages to scrounge up enough emotional strength to understand what's what and not lose sleep over it and you know, that in itself is an accomplishment.
My mind is army strong, that's for damn sure. I've talked myself out of a LSD induced, full on hallucination filled hysteria on occasion, I've managed to survive an overdose of BHang by not allowing myself to fall asleep or throw up and for those of you with the rolling eyes, i'd like to see you try it and come out unscathed. In more conventional terms also i've managed to put the mind to good use and one of the traits i have acquired is humility. Its a pretty new thing for me so i'm still sorta struggling with it but i'm hopeful it will work out.
Oh and i have concluded that religion is in fact totally redundant and kinda boring when you try to understand it. And its because of the simple reason that the story was written for the people from way back when they rode camels to work, we simply cannot 'get it' like they 'got it'. Its just like the current crop of movie watchers yawn when the see the old Devdas with Dilip Kumar and his over-emotional squealing but they sit on the edge of their seats when they Watch DevD, which is essentially the same story but only more relevant to the current times.
Therefore, i can understand how the people from way back when, when told the whole creation of man and showdown with angels story, believed it despite the enormous dichotomous holes in the story which would make a present day homo-erectus's head spin with the sheer absurdity of it. Back in the day people just did not infer much, they apparently took stuff at face value, whereas nowadays we tend to take a fact and turn it every which way just to see if it has any leaks in it, and once we do that to the story of religion, there's a freaking flood of impossibilities that pours out. The Angels though unable to do anything other than praise the lord managed to get offended by the imposition of a supposedly lesser being, one in fact, was so chagrined that he managed to rebel against God to the extent that he became his opposite equal. Thats pretty cool, i'll admit, but it's also kinda strange considering how God is supposed to be all powerful and therefore, theoretically could have nipped the whole evil thing in the bud. But he didn't because he wanted to test mankind by telling them whats right and allowing them to choose but at the same time telling them that those amongst us who fail to follow the path of righteousness have been made blind and dumb by God himself and hence CANNOT be righteous and even so, they will be condemned to an eternity of torment the likes of which we cannot imagine, just cuz God in his infinite wisdom effectively chose some of us to suffer. Even as i write it i fail to understand it which is why i have for the second time in my life picked up the Quran to try and decipher it for what it really is and not take it as the super-potent relic that it is purported to be. Here's to hoping i 'get it' this time around. I've gone through the first Sipara and have found this Marmaduke Pickthall translation to be very different from the one of Bukhari i had earlier studied to the effect that where in the Bukhari version the scripture seems to be focused on Jew bashing, this is one is more... civilized, addressing the Jews and reminding them of thier history and basically portraying god as a slightly vain and insecure diety who is pissed off at being forgotten. For what its worth, this one makes a little more sense and hopefully by the end of it, so will I.
In summation, in having turned 30 i have found that i haven't grown up at all. I have found that i'm naturally resistant to change and that is possibly the one thing i love most about myself but it is also the one thing that is the cause of most of my miseries and failures because there is no room for rigidity in the world unless you are God and have dominion over Heaven and hell and everything in between, even if its only hypothetical.

Comments

Xeb said…
I'm going to be there in a few years! *yikes*
Anonymous said…
it is not hypothetical
come watch M*A*S*H with me.
Hira S. said…
i've skipped over your theological monologue. i prefer to keep my patchwork faith intact- or atleast connected loosely by threads.

Being 30 means nothing. it's just five years after being 25. And as everyone knows, being 25 is overrated.
Majaz said…
I on the other hand did NOT skip over your theological monologue. Found it most intriguing and coincidental. I picked up a siparah the other day too and read the Urdu translation (the Pickthall one is back home) and unlike you I couldn't hope for sense at the end of the next thirty ones. Though I still intend to read em.

In all that I can understand religion is indeed the opiate of the masses and whatever much Marx got wrong, this he DID get right. I may be wrong however. So I still like to keep my option open and like to pray every once in a while. Science kinda leans on the power of faith and psychology tells you you need to believe in SOMETHING. Maybe it's a gestalt, maybe it's something else. Maybe it's God. But faith is good. A semblance of it, a need of it, even a small reflection of it.

And for the while, this is all I have and all I am going to do with.
Majaz said…
*next twenty nine ones.

Word verification for the previous post: Lacha.

This post: amazider.

We do live in a big random world don't we.
Phitaymaun said…
xeb: Welcome.

Humaira(x2): Prove it.

PJ: When and where?

Hira: Faith and religion are two very different things. YOu have faith in God but you believe a religion. Faith does not need verification it is by its very nature something that defies logic and in fact therein lies its power. I have nothing against faith not do i suffer from a lack of it. Religion, however, is not something i can believe in anymore without having it live up to my expectations of making enough sense to be moderately plausible. Keep your faith intact, but i implore you, please question your beliefs, analyze your religion because by not doing it you are doing a disservice to yourself, your religion, your off spring, your brain, your heart, and even that God you have blind and inexplicable faith in. He (or she or it) did not design you to be stupid and ignorant for a reason. Prove him right.

Majaz: Your husband had a very different take on this but i'm glad you concurred. Maybe we both just found ourselves at that stage in life where it becomes easier to question than to believe. But either way the reason i don't believe in giant fire breathing ants is the same reason i don't believe in what scripture has to say: they are both human fantasies to be enjoyed, to learn from, sure, but to kill for... and die for? And go super stupid for? Yeah that didn't sit too well with me either. Lets compare notes when we are done and see what conclusions we managed to draw.

My word verification: xfingsym. Random world indeed. And mostly senseless to boot. But oh what fun it is to ride in a one horse open sleigh.
Ding Ding.
Momekh said…
now how in the worlddd could I not comment on this?

:P

Regardless of the age, you are just being lazy. Lazy with your thought. And yes, you are struggling with humility (given that you believe that the human race now is somehow 'superior' than the human races before us).

Answers are of course only for those who question. I am just worried that you'd stop questioning and start judging. And judge you did in most places in your post.

There is also the fear that you are just showing off - in hope to piss off a few and perhaps present something new.

Just drop Pickethal and get M Asad's. And I do not think that the Quran - the mighty Quran no doubt - can be understood UNLESS it is taken as just a message. The 'holiness' if you may, is something the Quran at least, does not demand.

And call me man, too long a time and no see see. where ya at?

God bless and good luck,
M.
P.S. And I am serious bhai, sms me or somethin' ... let's meet up.
Phitaymaun said…
Moody, your comment is almost as cryptic as the Quran itself. From what i can gather you have made the mistake of assuming way too much from what is stated here. I found my faith waning so i decided to try and resurrect it and its no one else's responsibility but mine to see this through to whatever end.
And what you pointed out is exactly what my problem is with the current state of religion, why oh why in the name of Allah should reading some other dude's translation of the Quran make any freaking difference to the meaning of the book which supposedly is 'un-tamperable' in its 'message' I mean that's like saying Asad's version of Islam is better than Pickthall's. Which essentially means that we are allowing our on preferences to supersede what the scripture actually says and you know someone could just as easily come out and say no Pickthal is better and you will hold your ground and he his and because we are so emotional when it comes to our beliefs that's a freaking war in the making right there. And that precisely is why i think religion corrodes. Morality should not be dependent on religion but on knowledge and i believe that if the Quran is read more as a BOOK of knowledge, as a sort of How to live a decent life for dummies rather than a super potent divine message or ministrations of a despotic deity we stand a better chance of understanding both the religion and the Deity who in actual fact is far kinder and a lot less egoistic than popular belief.

Any who, thats a loooooooooooong conversation over post iftar ciggies, btw i was heartbroken to know you've shifted from marlboro to gold leaf, but yeah man lets get together at some point. Haseeb's here as well... don't you have my number?
adeel said…

the particular hottie you are checking out is old enough to be checked out by you

peculiar to being 30 is the feeling of having wasted away your life

not accompanied by depression. No, there's this wierd calmness instead.

traits i have acquired is humility

religion is in fact totally redundant and kinda boring



Oh dear god... this sounds dangerously like me. O_O

Around this ramzan time, I feel strangely adrift. The usual religiosity that accompanies waking up at sehri has thinned. I have managed to misplace my copy of the first volume of Tafheem-al-Quran... and for the life of me, I can't find it. I mean, this is grave. I NEVER loose anything, especially my books.

I have to consciously remind myself of my faith (auto-pilot not responding), however, I have not lost it and do hope to read, understand and learn from The Text.

Incidentally, I am 28.
adeel said…
Oh the woes of hasty comment posting! The last two paragraphs of my earlier comment should be read like this...

I have to consciously remind myself of my faith now (auto-pilot control is weakening). However, I have not lost my faith and neither do I necessarily think religion is TOTALLY redundant (though it has begun to get boring). I tell myself that I'm feeling this way because I have failed to 'get it' fully... and hence I too intend to resurrect it by reading, understanding and learning from The Text.

Incidentally also, I am 28.
i m three years away and yet i feel like it is starin me in the face!
Momekh said…
Damn man, I get to check out your post when Haseeb has come and left, and Ramzaan is just another day or so. (Of cos, the 'battles for eid' is another amusing match).
But haan yaar, let's meet after Eid. What are you doing nowadays and when are you usually found home? (still A block, right?)
God bless and looking fwd to meet you friend, :)
M.
P.S.No one ever said that the Quran is unalterable etc in its message. Anyways, like u said, lets keep that for sootas or somethin :)

Popular Posts