Independence 2.0



Now this is funny! 

So funny in fact that it has somehow made me relent long enough to let me rise up, up, up to the surface again. 

It’s also somewhat… weird, to be honest. And not the good kind of weird that makes you raise an eyebrow in wonderment. It’s the other kind, the almost unpleasant one. The one that makes your ears ring and your heart sink and your throat go dry. 

But, it’s also familiar. Very, familiar. Like an ex who was more a friend than a lover. The one who knew you and who you still know. Like a memory .The best one.  

And perhaps it’s that last bit right there which is why I am here after longer than it would seem to most... because here is still where I come to feel. 

The weather outside is delightful. Its autumn in Lahore and from the third story window of my new ‘home’ it could almost pass for Houston; that is, if one were to stab his/her eyes, one by one, with an ice pick and look through the blood and mutilated membrane. But as gruesome as that may sound, understand that it’s the closest that Lahore has EVER been to passing for Houston, and it’s enough.

Comments

Xeb said…
I'm afraid that if I don't force myself to reminisce and remember from time to time exactly how the streets of Manhattan felt, looked and smelled like I'm going to wake up one day - and like all dreams - the memories will fade away into abstract nothingness. And all I will have left will be the pretty-little-bubble of Islamabad, and nothing to remind me that there is a world out there that I used to know and love.

*sigh*
Roshni said…
You prefer Houston over Lahore? What is the matter with you? o-0
M said…
Any[thing] blurry enough will turn into your favorite place.

this happens to be the opening lines of one of my posts - sitting in drafts.

Hope you're doing well.

Popular Posts