sinking... feeling.

I hurt myself today….

My stunt in America has taken so much from me. Every day that comes to an end now reminds me not of all that I’m missing by choosing to be back home, but all that I missed out on by choosing to be away. The basants, the weddings, the aimless wandering down the streets I once knew. The birthdays, the promotions, my own engagement. The funerals. The passing away of doting uncles who never ever ceased to smile at the sight of you. Even though you knew the way to their house better than you knew them. Even though you never played with their children when you were young simply because you had a bigger house and a bigger car and a bigger allowance. Basically, because you were an asshole with an ego too big to belong to a human being.

And today, I hugged his sons. I hugged them without any pretensions of snobbery. Without any reservations, like hugging long lost brothers. And that is exactly what they are, long lost brothers. My grand parents lay buried in a grave yard that is their back yard, which they single handedly have maintained for generations because they remember that the dead deserve as much respect as the living. We go there often. To visit our dead. All my life, at least the life that was spent here as my father’s son, we went their often. And today, six years between now and then, I paid my respects to a new grave. And I stopped myself from crying for a man who deserves so much more than strangled tears. By the time I was done praying for his soul, the loss of his life to me seemed inconsequential compared to the loss his children must’ve been feeling. How do you bury your own father? I wondered as I looked over my own father struggling out of his shoes to stand barefoot on the soiled steps that led to the mausoleum where his parents are buried.

A new surge of pain then rose from somewhere within, as the thought of having to bury him one day took hold of my Ill prepared brain. I can’t begin to explain the kind of fear one feels at the notion of losing one’s father. Its like the sun has just drowned with the solid promise of never rising again. Like the world has ended and you’re standing alone in the midst of hellish demons inching ever closer to feed on your flesh. It’s a crippling fear, a terrifying state of mind because irrespective of how in command of your own faculties you feel, your knees do give way, at least a little, when you realize that this man who has never ever let you down may one day soon just cease to be. My heart sank, just like it had right before my drunken Kuwaiti friend drove us into a cliff.

The back of my father’s balding head reflecting the sunlight became the most welcome sight ever. In a futile attempt to regain my composure I tried to take a step to balance myself, but found out that whatever resolve my mind had reached about the fairly inevitable course of life, it hadn’t yet been communicated to my legs that the crisis was over. And thus I lost my balance and slipped, heading head first towards the dust laden concrete steps flailing my arms wildly to reach some kind of a support to grab hold off. And then I wasn’t falling. My arms were now in the steadfast hold of this lil old man who himself can’t walk straight because of a metal plate in his back from a botched surgery. This was perhaps the best possible physical manifestation of the psychological crutch he’s always been for me.

ON the verge of losing his own balance, he somehow found the strength to steady his tumbling son.

I know I would have been embarrassed. I am that petty, I am that arrogant. That the thought of a crippled 70 year old man aiding my step would have sent me immediately into a state of enraged humiliation. Instead, I felt like crying. From the sheer integrity of the situation, I had tears ready to fall. He saved me from falling. Like so many times before, he held out his hand and broke my fall. I looked at him and the smile on his face as he casually straightened me up and patted me on the shoulder and I swear my heart just stopped. Looking onto his wizened grey eyes I saw such unprecedented pride that I failed to understand the reason for him to be proud of me. So without wasting a breath, I hugged him. A strong rib-cracking hug. The kind of hug you give someone you never want to let go off. I guess I was trying to make him see I wasn’t ready for him to leave me now or ever. That I needed him to guide my steps all the way to my own grave.

These are things you never tell your father because you are afraid he will think of you as a lesser man than he expects you to be.

And these are the things I wanted so much to tell him, maybe somehow make him change the course of destiny, maybe somehow make him make god let him be forever. And I honestly believed that he could for a second. He is such a man that you would never put anything, no matter how credulously improbable it seems, beyond his capacity to achieve.

I’ve always known I love my father, I loved him even when I ran away from home just to be away from him. And I love him now that I have returned because he deserves to have his son by his side. Today, I know I love him more than I ever have and ever really thought I could. Today, I know for a fact that I would die willingly, happily even, if it meant he could live.

But more importantly I know now that he needs me to be sure footed and strong willed and honest and forth right. He needs me to live for him. For his legacy, for his pride. And most of all for his grandson who doesn’t yet exist and If my emotional constitution doesn’t change probably never will, but if he does, somehow, manages find his way down to god’s earth, than I will inevitably have to be the man to him my father is to me.

That’s a tall order.

Comments

meshwork said…
aww...its the best .. i know how you must have felt that day .. been there.. its so difficult .. i just keep running from it ..i dont wanna think about it ...cried reading this
i love my papa soo much ...I wish i could tell him that every day .. they way i did when i was with him ... now i have to be here and study.. but then again its just to make his dream reach reality.."beta jo chahy karna karlo .. lekin medicine bhi bahut noble profession hay h "....had to take up medicine .. wanted to take up commerce at Alevels..but took up science ..lekin papa was right ..like always ..he was right ...how can they be always right !?
i love you soo much papa!
"maybe somehow
make him make god let him be forever" .. may be if we all pray together...all the children of the world ...ask God to keep our mothers and fathers with us forever ..just maybe ..it could happen"
and beknighted ...I love your work.. ur the best .. your the king of bloggerland !
Phitaymaun said…
Mood: :D

Dolphin: I do't have to be a daughter to write about a good father's love for his... i have four sisters you see, am well versed in the unconditional love that exists betwee doting daughters and a father who deserves all the love in teh world. Maybe, one day you will find a post dealing with that.

Mehwish: Although i'm a very steadfast advocate for doing what you want to do, but i'm glad to see you're happy with your father's choice. I don't like doctors much but thats for purely personal reasons. Best of luck...

Lady: a great big hug for you sweet heart, followed by another one. You deserved better than what you got.
the woman said…
what can I say... you wrote so well.

I love men.
just muttering said…
daymn reading this post is spooky and emotional...last night i dreamt that my father died..he just wasnt there anymore & through the dream i ignored it untill finally i just started bawling..i bawled and bawled till i woke up..hate such nightmares! worse then that i hate the fact that it will inevitably come true...
thats the worst thing about being abroad..for me its not missing the basants etc not even the beaches chicken rolls or pani puri (which is what i tell everyone)..for me the worst thing is the mere thought that if khudanakhasta something were to happen to any of my family...even though i dont like to think about it thats why im most looking forward to going back..if God forbid something happens i cant stop it but at least i'll be there....
but then again there are my frnds who i love more then anything .... sigh...sometimes i just wish i had a giant impenetrable bubble i could carry around everyone i love in ...
discopapaya said…
i havnt read the post id ont have time and i want to read all the new stuff youve written one by one, i want to see the sequence of brilliance

but

seeing that your title was sinking feeling

im going to say

spin me roung again and rub my eyes this cant be happening, when busy streets are (something) with people about to hold their heads heavyyyyyyy

:D

much love!
discopapaya said…
(i hate sweet home alabama)
discopapaya said…
i am commenting for no reason now..

the interent here is so fast, actually makes this fun
Phitaymaun said…
woman: i'm sure men love you right back ;)

Sam: i know yaar, i know. We desis hide behind the magneficence of desi food to conceal what really crumbles our spirit. The reason i came back is because my best freind was in australia when his father was murdered in a sectarian conflict. I shouldered his Janaaza... then left for the sates. I may not have missed much at all but the fear of going thru what my buddy had to go thru sent me packing as soon as i graduated.
We are borne to our parents for many reasons. Not the least of which is being there when they need us. They may say we need to work on our futures and build our own lives etc etc but the simple fact is that when they have the courage to part from us, we shoud atleast have the decency to come back.
No offense to all the desis who have had to abandon family in pursuit of a better future, but there are those who get intoxocated on the freedom and liberty a foreign land has to offer and choose to abandon those who deserve it the least.

We loose and loose again. Every day battles, arguments, love... and teh regrets pile up...
Bot for all my regrerts, i'm coforted in kowning that the greatest one of all, of losing family from 12000 miles away will now never come to pass.

And it no hollow relief.
Rude Awakenings said…
You've penned down so easily what we all are afraid of even thinking.
I just submerged myself into your post so as to not relate myself to it.
Some feelings for me are better left untouched.

Sonia

Popular Posts