December

I have this sinking feeling, that in between all the weddings coming to pass as this year ends, will be a wedding that I will not be invited to. But that wedding, with all its classy décor, and extravagant menu, and rich man’s daughter feel all around will have a greater impact on my system than even the one of the friend that wouldn’t be if it wasn’t for the 300 steps of an art museum that I helped him climb.

This fear cripples me. So much so that I say stay up till dawn, and often beyond, contemplating fantastic possibilities that would make such great Indian movies. Of swashbuckling heroics at the foot of the stage, and romantic showdowns in the bridal room, so much detail I pour into these futile reveries, even the sepia tone of the pearls beaded on your red dress.

But I feel so useless as they end. So utterly helpless and lost in reality when the fantasy world seems so much more full of that which is worth living for. But in real time and real world there is no place for us anymore. When that wedding comes about, I will not be invited, and I will not be missed, but I will stay up all night crying and laughing at random at my loss and my stupidity. It would seem, prudent, to want something more attainable at this point, someone more attainable.
And I do.

But underneath the visions of a brighter future, there is always the shadow of the past which is shaped like you.

And no sooner have I recognized the need to run away from this shadow that it comes and envelopes me in its tenacious grasp as if never to let go. And the false promise of that is so painful to bear, since I will never feel the warmth of your arms again.

I write and I bleed in the hopes of letting you know what I go through in the absence of you.

But what good is it all? My words? My blood? My angst, my longing, my pain… when you don’t care. When you look back on us like the wistful mistake of teenage and shudder at the remembered passion of trembling finger tips. When you go through each day without as much as a thought spared for me.

I chase memories like its divine decree.

I follow shadows caste by a sun that no longer shines.

I trace footsteps long consumed by the tides of time.

And I do this without apology, without any sense of guilt or remorse. I do this as if it IS divine decree, as if the sun that shines now can still cast your silhouette besides mine ... beyond tide, beyond time.

Comments

meshwork said…
"I chase memories like its divine decree.
I follow shadows caste by a sun that no longer shines.
I trace footsteps long consumed by the tides of time."

aww..that was so good...
back in style... eh..?
and you'll be fine ..insha Allah..
Ozair said…
*sigh*

itll get better... :)
Arooj said…
omg i know you hate me. i have been away and in incredibly random fashion. but do i dare ask how things are going.
Majaz said…
Interesting.

But WHY didn't you get the girl, again, sorry?

If she doesn't care enough, she isn't worth moping over.

And if you love her badly enough, you would have probably climbed over that garden wall, wearing a nice little tux, dressed to kill, and shoved the possible groom out of the way.

I'm not making fun of your misery.

I'm just telling you to snap out of it. Everyone loves a hero and everyone loves a sadder hero even more.

But do you know? Every once in a while, it's better to stop resenting the fact that you're a martyr and get on with life?

The sepia in her gharara? Oh no no no.
Reej Q said…
i see it, i feel it
Xeb said…
Cold comfort but...
a)you dont want to be invited! you wouldn't go if you were.
b)you wouldnt want to be relgated to a mere memory... maybe its better if she forgets (?)
c)maybe this way you'll move on. beyond. to more. to better.

As i said... cold comfort. I'll be in Lahore in December. We shall be in touch! :)
Anonymous said…
i was here.

like i always am and will continue to be.
Nidhi said…
I don't have words that can mean anything at all. But I'd still say that stop being so hard on yourself. You owe yourself better. And trust me, this too shall pass. Just stop being a masochist.:)

Hugs,
Nidhi
Phitaymaun said…
Mehwish: Thanku much for the appreciation, i love being quoted in comments :D and i am fine, MAsahallah

Oz: OR worse. Either way, life don't stop for no one, koee marta nahin kisee kay liye.

Arooj: I don't hate anyone.

Majaz: Thanks for dropping by. Thanks for commenting, no thanks for the cliched 'advise'. Really i know better than anything you could possibly tell me, i mop here cuz its my blog and i choose to mop on it. And just so you know i didn't didn't get the girl, i gave her up. Don't even bother trying to understand that, because you probably can't i seriously don't care enough to explain. But really, thanks for dropping by.

Psycho: Glad to know :)

NF: Sigh, that face again huh. Okay just for you next post will be a funny one.

Xeb: Sweetest comment by far. Cold comfort perhaps, but comfort nonetheless.

N: Yur a sweet heart

Nidhi: If i could stop being a masochist i'd have to stop being me, and you know, nothing in this world exists that is worth losing that. NOt happiness, not satisfaction. Love perhaps but that's come and gone. I'll take teh hug with a smile though, hugs help most of the time. Most often when words don't.


And just for the record, she ain't getting hitched yet, that was just a hypthetical scenario that the masochist in me chose to evaluate before hand.
kAy said…
the ex weds and you still care?
thats an ouch situation.
id say God has bigger better plans for you and this was all part of some scheme to make you feel great then take it away only to make you feel greater next time.
twisted logic yes i know but hey , its faith. :)
SR said…
not worth it.
sigh.
i just had to comment this time- even though its just a line. hope your doin better healthwise also.
*hands you a pack of cigarettes*
Lets just smoke the night away ;)
naked feet said…
ok why is everyone ignoring bloggerdom? now i know what disco was on about...
Sapphire said…
it would kill me to go to the wedding of someone i was once in love with. it would kill me to know it was mine once and now it's not. grrr..it's good that you aren't invited sajjad! mauj kero!
Nidhi said…
I concur- nothing's worth losing you. And I know better than to tell you not to partake in the pain. Just one question, though- what'll get you to smile again?:)

Take care you,
Nidhi
Majaz said…
Touched a raw nerve, have I?

But then - it was supposed to be a bitter blog. However, thanks for replying.


Now that you have safely cleared that situation up, here's hoping that next time the masochist in you can write about things can really prove to us that the bitterness that overflows from your posts is meant for you alone.

And let's hope next time I'll drop by for something more interesting like... "Justified." That was a good one. Gross. But a good one.
balihai said…
;-D

ah! i find reasons for the illness;
makes you write well, doesn't she?

have you ever gone climbing?
at the peak, when you stand, you realise that the peak next to yours looks a lil higher?
and to climb that one, you have to go down and start again. the thrill is in the climb. discovering lil holds, pushing yourself, prolonging those moments.
;-)
expressome said…
Ouch. I dunno what state of mind u wrote this in...to me it bleeds, pumps blood out....its painful.
umm, theres something that i call "the Lump", u might be aware of it...wait....this is too long for your comment box. visit my blog for details.
i know nothing i say will be of any use right now, so heres a *hug* and hoping that somehow somewhere u do end up finding great happiness, and i wont ask u to give the mosochistic side of you up, because you are right its too much a part of u to be given up, but hopefully it will sublimate somehow, once u find that happiness.
I know you still hurt...be it outta habit, familiarity or watever u call it...but u still do, and your tone in not just thispost but so many others of the same nature vouches for teh fact that u do...and thus,your masochistic streak(hardly) and your pain is clearly justified.
Love can consign us to hell or to Paradise, but it always takes us somewhere.

Sigh!

Hope you're healing.God Bless.


Mayuri!

Popular Posts