Big Boss, No Shit.

I’m a lousy boss.

I’m like the constipated boss in the joke.

I can’t tell my god damned only employee that he’s an incompetent fuck. That with his attitude he will never amount to anything. That his everyday, tedious and menial tasks demand levels of commitment that he is so far absolutely unable to comprehend much less exhibit.

I failed to instill in him the simple notion of never saying no to the boss. That when he tells you to do something you damn well do it. Instead of making excuses about being up all night because it was an unexpected holiday on Friday. I tell him to fix the errors he made on the last batch of pictures and he frowns. He had the gall to frown. I learnt at that moment what it feels like to froth at the mouth from sheer anger. Disobedience in the ranks, mutiny on the bounty.

But before I could chop his head off or more realistically put the cigarette in my hand out in his ear, (this was seriously contemplated for a good 10 seconds) it dawned upon me that his insolence was ultimately my own failure. Yes, more than his father’s and mother’s. As his first employer it was incumbent upon me to inculcate in him the values of a professional. I realized that it was easy to damn the whole world for its incompetence than to accept the blame that falls upon oneself. I had tried to be a good boss, a friendly boss. Sharing dirty jokes and making small talk and giving him ice cold cokes and bumming smokes.

Therein lay my mistake. He didn’t need another friend. He needed an iron fist up the wazoo. He needed to be tempered into the responsible man that he will need to be, to be worth anything at all in life.

I also realized that I w as projecting. I remembered clearly my own first job and the asshole boss I had had. And I was hell bent upon being better, being kinder, being more forgiving and less demanding. All in all I wanted to be the ideal that I had set in my own mind for the genial, jovial mentor who I never found.

The similarities in his attitude now, and mine back then were remarkable. Friendly yet obstinate, pretending to be responsible but inherently insolent. For someone as egomaniacal as me, it is a hard reality to accept that at any given time in my life I wasn’t really much different than the general stereotype. But today, faced with this teenage zit factory’s blunt refusal to do my bidding made me realize that alas, life does come full circle, again and again.

So I fired him.

I understood then that I had learnt the wrong lesson from my first job and first dismissal. I had blamed the megalomaniac boss of mine for being the creep and failed to realize that it was my own attitude that spelt my doom. And yet, being fired had taught me that eventually you have to balance your self righteousness with the everyday diplomacy that needs to be carried out in order to make ends meet. That the man who pays you dictates your actions and he isn’t out to destroy your ego, he is simply trying to get the work done the way he wants it done.

The look of disbelief in the kid’s eyes was frighteningly satisfying for my wounded ego. His pleas were an added bonus. My absolute and concrete refusal to relent was a surprise. I ushered him out, begging and beseeching. Wishing I had security guards that could toss him out adding further insult to injury. But beneath it all I was sincerely hoping that he learns from this. That he realizes that the real world isn’t brimming with second chances. That the next time he finds himself a money making opportunity he will know how to conduct himself better. That he learns the right lessons.

And hoping also that the next guy I hire is less of an asshole. Cuz seriously, I’m a lousy boss.

Comments

BaptizedLucifer said…
hmm. i remm the joke ur title speaks of. and sinc eu put itup, i guess thats what u'll end up as: Big Shit, No Boss. lol. did u just spel it out for yourself?

just kidding.

"So I fired him." cracked me up.

but, c'mon... u coulda just sat the kid down and talked to him... rather than firing him coz he somehow reminded you of ur own failure... he's gone, but you haven't changed at all.. he'll learn from his experience... but have u grown from all that the kid made u realize? coz if u haven't, rest assured, u'll be firing people for a long long time to come.

in times of confusion why do we alway send up acting like our seniors? u made the same move ur boss did... he prolly did it coz he was treated the same...

its just like how my parents were distant, i decided i would make sure my kid sis didnt grow up that way, that she would always have someone to talk to in me, but the minute she turned into a rebellious teenager, i started acting like my parents. i became them. i coudlnt accept my defeat... funny... coz it really wasnt defeat... i had never really tried ot achieve what i had set out to. it was all in my mind... a sort of fantasy... one i never realized i had to DO somethign to achieve... just expected it to happen... but... it doesn't just happen... and ppl are real... and unpredictable... and u and me... we wish ppl were just our little toy soldiers.... place them anywhere we want to... thats not happening tho. my little sis still doesnt have someone to talk to... im wondering if ur future will have a mentor in you? :-/
Phitaymaun said…
Okay Luci, i tried to post a reponse on your blog, but u ain't got no blog man! Well neway, first of all i really appreciate you taking the time out to actually reflect on my post, but you kinda missed the point. I realized with this kid that i wasn't the guy who was gonna be his mentor, cuz my mentoring technique hadn't worked. I realized that just like my first boss, the best thing i could do for him was introduce him to the harshness of reality. He needed a wake up call, my part in his life was to dial the number. I hope he finds a mentor, i hope he can sit down and figure out what he did wrong. I know i will be firing more people, because sometimes incompetence cannot be tolerated. You are right, i chose to be what i had once known and detested, but i also understood t hat sometime our elders are right. Its not very hard to tell when you mature where your elders went wrong and even easier to tell when they got it right. I was fired because i deserved to be fired, so was he. We only learn from our mistakes ff we bear the consequences. I assure you, on good authority he hasn't been scarred for life, just gingerly nudged towards reality.
As for your sister, man i really hope you make it work cuz i rememebr my own teenage, as i'm sure you rememebr yours and i swear there was nothing worse than being misunderstood by the people i was counting on teh most. I Got a niece and a nephew growing up faster than jAck's beans and i'm praying that i can be a better guardian for them through thr most turbulent timr in a person's life than my guardian's were. Best of luck, i hope you tell me how it works out. I know that when all else fails we revert to whats been tried on us believeing that since we turned out okay it may not be all that bad, but seriously i could use some pointers from someone whose travelled the road i'm heading for.

Thankyou ever so much for your constructive criticism, its 3 am and i assure you i do appreciate it.
Cheers!

Popular Posts