Ressurection

Hope.
Rising. Rising.
Building a crescendo that can only end in the perfect moment.
Every thing I’ve known, I’ve learnt.
Employed into the service of making this happen.
This magnificent magnum opus, my No.9
Nothing can ruin this.
Nothing can keep this from happening.
God himself won't keep this form being mine.
How can he?
He's brought me this far; this failing will be him failing..
She will come.
Through those doors, amidst the people pouring in. amongst the families, the couples, the lonely strangers... the smiles and the empty stares... she will come.

I have to go.
I must.
How can I not let this happen?
Nothing else matters now. Now nothing is as important as fulfilling this promise of an almost broken heart.
I can't surrender to chance, or circumstance the sheer promise of what this could mean for the rest of my life. And his.
He loves me so fucking much.
SO much more than I ever thought possible.
So much more than anything I know now... S
o much more than my father's will, my brother's honor.
Misplaced honor borne of superficial commitments to jaded reality.
No.
I must go.
I have to go.
They will understand.
Won't they?
They will know that this is true, that this is divine... destiny... fate.
No one survives this much.
No one comes back from the graveyard of memories to claim once again a love that had all but died.
No one can keep the fire burning through years and years of wonder and pain.
He has.
He has.
I have to go.

I'll kill them.
Father brother mother... not the sister though, she'll never forgive me that.
But if she takes their side in keeping us apart what else can I do?
Will she forgive me them?
The father she’s already left me for, the brother she's already hurt me for. Yes. Yes she will. Now, she will.
It was a stroke of genius, or just divine luck. One well-timed visit can change so much so fast.
It can bring so much back to what it used to be.
Just like, just like when it stops being yours, this love you claim eternal. Just like it stops meaning much, meaning any thing at all. Just like that, it can start again.
Such force... such perplexing strength of conviction. Its almost physical, this need to follow it through. Just like before. No matter how many times you put yourself to sleep swearing that you never will be this vulnerable again you find yourself waiting at the courthouse prepared for battle hoping for resolve.
Just like that. You can come full circle to the way you always wanted to be, No more bitterness, no more anger just love, sanctified.
Will she forgive me? Will she understand?
Maybe she won't have to, maybe they will. Understand finally what it means to be in love. To suffer the loss of such a precious possession... maybe.
Maybe it will be easy. Maybe it will be all right.
And if its not I will die at the steps, right there.
Yes, at the feet of that lion sculpture. In her arms as she will kneel beneath it, let me lay my head in her lap one last time...
No! mustn't think like that, if it comes to that they will die. They will all die. Their blood will bathe this day. Their blood will make us complete.
Will she forgive me if it comes to that?
Will she understand?


What if they follow me?
Where’s the damn exit?
Are they following me?
Is that bhai's car?
Oh god it is! I’ll turn off here, take the city streets to the courthouse.
Oh no it isn't, just some black guy.
I'll take the city streets just in case... Do they suspect?
Oh God I don't know. I haven't cried like I did last night since that damn day so many years ago. Mom would know, she always knows.
She knew when it was over and every time I lied that it was.
How the hell does she do that, can u really not lie to your mother? I hope not.
Well I would be dead by now if I couldn’t have... or maybe that’s just what mothers do, they swallow up what they can and try to stop you when they know you are going to end up coiled in regret, Oh god!
Mom!
What if she’s been right all along, it certainly seemed like that when we broke up back then, oh how she held me in her arms, kissed my head.
How good it felt to be with her, to know that she understood, when he didn't, when my father hated me and she just kissed my head... maybe.
Maybe... but no kiss has ever felt as good as his last. Forehead. He was so good at those forehead kisses. He could make you feel safe and loved and fulfilled and happy and sad and so much more just like that.
And his hugs, how I have missed being in his arms, surrendered completely to him. Existing only for the sweet simple ecstasy of sleeping in his arms.
How right it felt when dad hit me for being with him, how right it felt for it to have been worth the beatings and the curses. The fights the tears, the suicidal depression... worth it.
Then.
And now...

And now, it’s getting late.
It’s almost a half hour past the time we set.
OH god.
Where’s the hope now?
What if she doesn’t come?
What if I sit and wait here like the penultimate loser till they throw me out at closing time?
What if these flowers wilt in my hands tonight as I sit in my car unable to drive at the second betrayal of a love that has survived so much and so little at the same time?
What if it all dies today?
What if today is the day it all ends?
Can I forgive her this?
Can I give her another chance after this?
Yes. I probably can, I probably will.
Oh how bitter sweet this helplessness is at the hand of another. Not another, but her.
The one and only who can drive me to my knees by her existence.
Where's the hope now?
There it is... that her car pulling up. Isn’t it?
I can't really tell… looks like it.
Or is it her sister's car?
Has she shown up to give me the news to tell me to leave them all alone once and for all. to let her life be what it is and deal with my own?
Will I need to explain to her again how it’s no longer my life?
It’s her!

It’s him!

Indian movie moment…

I run down the steps, she runs up them.
We stop just short of each other face-to-face, all smiles and tears.
All happy and sad.
All complete and fulfilled.
But I’m still here, and she isn't running.
This is life.
In the midst of the moment that will define our lives form this point onwards, she walks and I stand.
But she does walk on. I can see the shy smile on her face, the disbelief in her eyes, I can hear her wonder: OHMYGOD OHMYGOD OHMYGOD. I can hear her think over my own sinking heart, sinking thoughts rising faith. I think, now, I will cry.
And I do.
She gets blurry in my vision.
Dressed in white.
The same suit she wore for out first eid together, low cut enough to hint at cleavage, see through enough to just suggest the beautiful body beneath, Perfect.
Mine.
For me.
Mine. All mine. She is mine, she will be mine.
MEri hai.
Meri rahi gee.
I seeher take every step, never hurrying but faster then she would usually walk. Just a smidgen quicker. Just an instant less from her to me.
From we to us.

He got me flowers! White ones, I can’t believe he remembered. Oh my god that’s so sweet.
The white flowers our wedding was supposed to be dressed in.
I can’t stop smiling. How long has it been since my last involuntary smile? 7 years, 4 months and 22 days.
The last time I stood in his arms before that mirror.
That mirror reflecting us. Standing so close together as if nothing cud split us apart.
And then I did.
Its time to fix that. Its time to be complete again.
I've tried everything. I've tried to be a good daughter, a good student a good girl through and through. A bad girl too, a vixen, a bitch a slut.
Oh god everything that I’ve tried just to get him out of my head. When all I had to do was walk these steps. Into his arms.
To the justice and take my vows.
This is all it needed.
Nothing matters now.
Nothing ever did.
I just thought it made a difference when this is what my destiny has always been.
I’m blushing! How long has it been since I blushed...
since the last time he looked me straight in the eyes and said he loved me?
This is it, I choose this. I choose him. He’s mine. All mine. Mera hai. Mera...

Tinkle of a broken reverie. Grimace of a breaking dream. Blood rush, adrenaline pumps. Bastard. Aa gaya kambakht.
One look heaven ward and a wry smile.
I will die today. I know. I will.
Her dad's here. He’s running.
The most important moment in our lives, she walks. I stand and he runs!
Unfair.
Un just.
Impossible.
Run.
Don't stop, oh god don't stop please just keep walking to me. I know you heard him yell your name. Hear me call you. I don't need to yell I don't need to run. I love you, he needs you. I love you.
Fuck
She stopped.
Run!

RUK JAO!
Everything just broke.
Everything.
The dream, the fantasy, the need, the desire, the resolve.
He’s here. My dad’s here.
37 steps in a whisper and the 38th impossible to take.
Why is this happening to me? Why is destiny so skewed for me? Why didn’t he die last year? How can I think that? He is my father.
I must stop.
I must go on.
I have to stop.
I have to go on.
OH shit shit shit, he's heard him.
I can see his heart breaking. For the second time in a lifetime I’ve hurt the man I love more than any man can take.
OH SHIT don't run.
Don't run.
Who will die today?
I’m going to loose one of them forever.

Haramzade, suar, madar zaat.
Spit and curses fly out from an old dignified mouth.
I'm all that and more you bastard.
You will not take her away from me again.
One shove. 38 steps, lets see if your old bones survive that,
GET YOUR HANDS OFF HER.
She’s mine. MINE. MERI HAI!
A slew of curses follow in all languages we both know.
My beloved squirming in her father's grasp.
Squirming, breaking. Surrendering to the moment.
This mutilated moment.
He's done it again he's ruined it for us.
What do I do? DO I be coy or truthful? Do I alibi? How can I?
Its pretty damn obvious what the hell is going down here. I'm taking his cash cow away forever, for good.
And he won't let me. He will die.
The muzzle feels so cold and calming against my hand. Did I load the magazine?
We'll find out soon enough.

STOP! Stop trying to comfort me Dad! Stop feeding me lies of your unconditional love. Stop trying to make me hate what I love dad. Stop being here dad. Stop being alive dad. Stop making me the villain, the bitch who brought the house down, who rubbed your nose in the cesspool of human shit, dad. Stop telling me what I should do, I already did what I should have and you sold me off to a better wrung on the social ladder. Stop Dad Stop!

She broke away.
Oh god don't cry baby. Please don't cry.
Not today, not on our day. Not today.
Stop making her cry; don't you see what you're doing to her? You blind fuck! Don't you see you're tearing her apart? She chose me, then, she chose me again.
You blind greedy fuck. She's looking up at him. Stop.
10 feet between her and me. One between her and him.
She's broken.
She’s split in two.
Just like then. She’s been torn again.
Why do I keep doing this to her?
Why do I keep making her life excruciating?
I know she loves me, she’s proven that. This proves that.
I know what I need to know, what more do I need to get?
She won’t forgive me. She won’t. She won’t… she can’t. It’s her father. Its dad. Her dad.
I can’t
I mustn’t.
She’s looking at her feet. Is that a tear forging thru the space between her eyes and the floor? A tear I would kill to keep from falling? But I can’t kill him, I’d kill myself but I can’t kill him.

He stopped.
They both stopped.
I’m the wall keeping them from killing each other. I didn’t choose this.
I did choose this.
I chose him.
Come get me, take me in your arms and show this man how much you can love me. He’s a father after all, deep inside, beneath the veneer of accomplishment and wealth he’s bound to want my happiness… how can he want anything but my happiness. How can he hate you? How long can he hate you?

He’ll hate me forever; she’ll loose him forever. She’ll never complain but she’ll always wonder. She’ll always regret giving up on her father. I have to stop this, I started this I will stop this.
I love her
I can stop hurting her.
I can stop wanting her
No I can’t
But maybe she can
Maybe she had
Oh what a stupid thing to do,
Resurrecting a love that was never dead, just buried
What a selfish thing to do.

Why’s he turning away?
What?
Where?
Where are you going janu?
I’m here.
I’m here.

If only he wasn’t here, how easy this could’ve been
Easy?
Really?
Would it have mattered ten years from now when he died and she couldn’t go to his funeral?
No.
He had to come.
Juts like before, he had to come in the way.
Why?
I don’t know.
I just know that this is it.
NO one dies today.
Just the same dream again.
Just the same hope again.

Oh FUCK!
He’s dropped his head; he’s giving in, giving up.
NO NO NO! NOT you. You can’t give up. I did, It doesn’t work , we have to fight, we have to win, we have to make this happen.
We give up and we never really forget. We never really let go, it’s the same old sadness compounded with time passing, with life growing. It doesn’t end, I know. I’ve tried… I’ve tried everything
Nothing works, except you and I
Nothing
Except…
He;s walking away.
Look back. Please turn around. I want to see the tears in your eyes. Maybe that will give me the strength to run to you to grab you and hug you and tell you I love you. Right here. Right in front of him. He will change. He will just change right here, right now… just please turn around, look back.

One last look and then I go. But if I turn will I be able to leave? Leave her crying, leaving her to be consoled by her father, leave her to be told by him how wrong I am, how wrong I have always been? What If i turn and I see him next to her with his arms around her, telling her I’m weak, I’m evil, what If i loose it? What if I turn to stone?
I don’t care.
This is it.
Not the meeting 7 years later, not the decision to elope, not the wait and not her stepping out of the car. This is the moment that will define the rest of our lives. This moment where I decide to look back or walk away.

Look at me…

Look at her.

He looked!

I looked.
And now I can’t look away. I can’t walk away. Grab my hand…

He raised his hand.

Don’t run in those shoes woman, you’ll trip.

These shoes aren’t built for running.

He stopped. Her dad froze.
Her hand’s in mine. 7 fucking years just dreaming of the touch of her skin, and now her hand’s in mine.

7 years of dreaming of his touch and all I had to do was reach out.

7 years. Waiting for this. A lifetime wouldn’t have been too long.
Look how perfectly she fits in my hug. The perfect hug. Built for each other, two peas in a pod. We fit. We still fit.

Yes we do. We do.

Comments

Pixie said…
i love how this was written.
not your best, but i like it out of all ive read so far.

it's complete.

Popular Posts